What is it ?
s6-dns is a suite of DNS client programs and libraries for Unix
systems, as an alternative to the BIND, djbdns or other DNS clients.
s6-dns may include its own series of DNS caches and servers at some
point in the future.
- A POSIX-compliant system with a standard C development environment
- GNU make, version 3.81 or later
- skalibs version
18.104.22.168 or later
s6-dns is free software. It is available under the
- See the enclosed INSTALL file for installation details.
- This page lists the differences to be aware of between
the previous versions of s6-dns and the current one.
All these commands exit 111 if they encounter a temporary error or
hardware error, and
100 if they encounter a permanent error - such as a misuse. Short-lived
commands exit 0 on success. Other exit codes are documented in the
Command-line DNS clients programs
DNS analysis and debug tools
Protocol implementation and synchronous resolution
- BIND is the most widely
used DNS software suite on the Internet. It's also arguably the most
convoluted and impossible to understand.
- djbdns is DJB's DNS suite.
It works very well, but is unfortunately unmaintained by the author. s6-dns
same design principles.